We fully support the work of and the registration of the Marine Stewardship Council and members of the Friend of the Sea Approved Fisheries scheme (FASFA).
Penaluna’s over the last 2 years (most recent first)
- We have carried out further insulation works to maintain our heating and cooling
- We are waiting for installation of air conditioning units for the Café, this will reduce our dependency on the gas boiler
- We achieved MSC accreditation for our supply chain of our fish, we only buy MSC Cod, Hake and Haddock. One of 3 Fish and Chip shops in Wales to achieve this.
- We installed a new energy efficient dishwasher, saving, time electricity and water.
- We installed a super efficient oven to carry out our cooking and this has reduced our waste and allows us to offer a broader variety of items.
- We installed a complete new potato preparation system to save time, electricity and water.
- Our business cards and paper is made from recyclable materials and are also degradable.
o We achieved a Quality Award from the National Federation of Fish Friers, one of around 250 shops in the UK
Prior to this
o We replaced ceilings with insulated voids
- We replaced most of our lighting with highly efficient LED lighting.
- We replaced an old walk in freezer with a new highly efficient & insulated new walk in.
- Involved with local initiatives to support local recycling & reduce food waste.
- Our Chips are ALWAYS prepared daily (peeled and chipped), from fresh 100% British potatoes (often Maris Pipers, but only the best available in season when not available). Our suppliers identify the farm where they are grown.
- We fry on a high efficiency modern gas range which is regularly serviced to maintain it’s peak performance.
- Our cooking oils are filtered at least daily maintaining it’s optimum efficiency.
- With careful and correct storage of potatoes, we have just ONE delivery per week reducing CO2 emissions and our overall Carbon Footprint.
- We installed smart meters & monitor our electricity consumption at 30 minute intervals, we audit our peak uses and have reduced our usage by over 15%
- We recycle our used cooking oils with a local biodiversity user who converts it to bio fuel for vehicles.
- We segregate much of our waste and recycle what the Local Authority permits, including metal cans, paper cardboard and plastics.
- In accordance with the Welsh Assembly Governments initiative, we only use carrier bags at request and instead single use packaging which is biodegradable Payment for Carrier bags normally goes direct to Bobath Therapy Centre in Children in Wales with Cerebral Palsy, so far we have raised over £600 for this charity from carrier bags, thanks to you.
- We now use energy efficient induction hobs.
- One of our vehicles is run on LPG and is more efficient than diesel or petrol
- We are committed trying to buy from local manufacturers and suppliers to help sustainable growth of small /medium local businesses.
- Penalunas work with the Welsh Assembly initiative on KEEP WALES TIDY
- We minimise the number of flyers we print to reduce waste and target our audience